Saturday, August 23, 2008

A year gone by....

Work can never be enjoyable; if it was, there would be no need to compensate you for it.
~Scott Adams

It's exactly been a year a year (at least it was when I started writing it, me having wasted a month already in getting round to write it) since I landed here, for my first job. And, it's been a busy year, just whooshing past, much faster than a year used to take not too far back.

Like all years, I have learnt a few things, unlearnt a lot more; met a few people I liked, met a lot more I disliked (and, who in all probability, returned the favor). Anyways, more on this later.

I have learnt to take all hype with a more than a healthy dose of cynicism (yes, I breezed through IIM after being prepared to meet the smartest, most innovative people around) and so honestly, I had no qualms/illusions about the highly intellectually challenging nature of work and the opportunity of rubbing shoulders with the brightest in the business, the creme de la creme, as they say (that's how the financial/consulting jobs are sold back in the campus).

I was always sure about student life being much better than anything that work can offer (except, of course, for the compensation), but even the cynical me underestimated the extent.

Not a long post this time, for a change (am not in a verbose mood). Just a few relevant strips of my favorite comic characters should suffice.

Yes, work hours are long, most of it devoted to stupid, mindless, and completely unnecessary things

Yes, I was in office on 24th December and 31st December, being the junior-most guy around has its perks.

A look at the sophistication and the extensive logical analysis involved in the business.

Yes, believe it or not, bank stocks actually rallied each time they announced layoffs or more writedowns

But then, ultimately, the joke's on clients.

So much for the long-term, 'strategic' (and what not) views

and

Being 'client-focussed' actually means the entire focus being on separating the clients from their cash

As for being meritocracy being the sole criterion, here goes:

The dreaded P45 form - find a new job, mate

The banks, after writing down massive amounts every quarter, keep claiming that the books are conservatively marked. The truth is a little more sombre because no one has any clue where they should be marked.

Sometimes, having a Nick Leeson or Jerome Kerviel type traders is actually desirable

Still, inspite of the self-righteousness of the industry, I don't hate my job (yet), not as much as Dilbert below seems to do, at any rate (primarily, because of the compensation involved).

Scott Adams is not very subtle sometimes.

More on the subtleties and intricacies of financial markets later. As a parting (no pun intended) shot.


This is what 'managing' is all about.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aurora said...

side effects of getting job[:O][:O]

9:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i love dilbert :P

this post isnt tht long.. it doesnt feel lke reading a novel :P...

thanks to those comics :P

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home